The Asian American Federation (AAF), founded in 1989, is New York City’s most powerful leadership voice for better policies, services, and funding that lead to more justice and opportunity for Asian New Yorkers. Our mission is to raise the influence and well-being of the pan-Asian American community through research, policy advocacy, public awareness, and nonprofit support.
In collaboration with 70 member and partner community-based organizations, we serve the interests of 1.7 million New Yorkers from 20 ethnic groups—diverse in language, culture, and religion—that make up New York’s Asian community, by providing expert research and unrelenting advocacy; working with lawmakers to change policies; and training Asian nonprofits to better serve their communities.
We fight to keep the pan-Asian American community visible and to ensure our needs are met, our contributions are valued, and our stories are told.
Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Accountant will be responsible for managing all aspects of the organization’s financial operations. With the use of GAAP, they will perform various complex accounting activities and financial analysis, including, but not limited to, budget development; fiscal interpretation and analysis; preparing financial reports; performing account reconciliations; and various accounting duties. They will oversee the full cycle of bookkeeping, payroll, and grant reporting functions, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, expense allocations, and the monthly close.
- Provide financial information to management by researching and analyzing accounting data and preparing regular budget and cash flow reports, as well as other financial reports requested by management
- Process accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Process and track grant payments to subcontractors in collaboration with program staff
- Work closely with the Deputy Director and Director of Finance to determine and apply payroll allocations and expenses to various contracts
- Prepare supporting schedules for government contracts and private grants
- Complete month-close process and end-of-year 1099 process
- Maintain and secure financial records on shared and local drives
- Comply with federal, state, and local financial legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, and advising management on needed actions
- Maintain accounting controls by preparing and recommending policies and procedures
- Perform other special projects and responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or equivalent, with strong knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (CPA a plus)
- Minimum 3 years of experience in accounting/finance, preferably in a nonprofit environment, working with organizations having multiple funding streams
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (especially Excel) a MUST
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with exceptional attention to detail
- Exceptional organizational skills, with demonstrated ability to manage concurrent multiple assignments, meet tight deadlines, and prioritize accordingly
- Superior relationship management skills, with the ability to interface collaboratively with a variety of personalities
- Demonstrated commitment to Asian American communities and AAF’s mission
All new hires must be vaccinated and must stay up-to-date with COVID-19 vaccines unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered a position with AAF, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by AAF.
Compensation: Salary range is from $70,000 to $80,000 per year, commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package includes generous paid time off, health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance, as well as a 403(b) plan.
To Apply: Please email cover letter, resume, and writing sample with [Last Name] Accountant in the subject line to [email protected]. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the position will begin immediately. No phone calls, please.
The Asian American Federation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.