Bilingual Small Business Technical Assistance Program Coordinator – Contract Position
The Asian American Federation (AAF), founded in 1989, is New York City’s most powerful leadership voice for better policies, services, and funding that lead to more justice and opportunity for Asian New Yorkers. Our mission is to raise the influence and well-being of the pan-Asian American community through research, policy advocacy, public awareness, and nonprofit support.
In collaboration with 70 member and partner community-based organizations, we serve the interests of 1.7 million New Yorkers from 20 ethnic groups—diverse in language, culture, and religion—that make up New York’s Asian community, by providing expert research and unrelenting advocacy; working with lawmakers to change policies; and training Asian nonprofits to better serve their communities.
We fight to keep the pan-Asian American community visible and to ensure our needs are met, our contributions are valued, and our stories are told.
This contract position will run from August 15, 2022 to August 14, 2023, with the possibility of becoming permanent contingent on funding.
AAF seeks a Bilingual Small Business TA Program Coordinator to keep the immigrant small business community informed about available funding opportunities, including important policy changes, and provide technical assistance to Asian small business owners in securing financial assistance from NYS. Reporting to the Associate Director of Small Business Programs, this person will be responsible for conducting outreach to our member and partner organizations. This is a hybrid position.
Outreach and community engagement:
- Create in-language materials on available and upcoming small business assistance programs and services
- Conduct outreach in collaboration with member and partner organizations, including canvassing in-person
- Facilitate in-language information sessions and webinars on available and upcoming small business assistance programs
- Engage with ethnic media on inquiries regarding small business assistance programs
- Collect community feedback on current small business programs and policies to share with policy makers and elected leaders
Intake and technical assistance:
- Collect basic information necessary for technical assistance, and conduct preliminary intake survey
- Keep log of inbound assistance requests for reporting purposes
- Coordinate the schedule for technical assistance sessions in Cantonese, Korean, or Mandarin
- Provide one-on-one assistance to small business owners applying for the NYS COVID-19 Pandemic Small Business Recovery Grant Program
- Assist in drafting funder reports on AAF’s Small Business Program
- Must have advanced verbal and written proficiency in Cantonese, Korean, or Mandarin; interpretation and/or translation experience a plus
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 1-3 years of relevant experience in nonprofit advocacy, program administration, or related field
- Experience/interest in small business operations (retail, restaurant, personal care, etc.) a plus
- Able to travel regularly to Murray Hill, Queens
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional organizational skills, with demonstrated ability to manage concurrent multiple assignments, meet tight deadlines, and prioritize accordingly
- Superior relationship management skills, with ability to work both independently and collaboratively
Compensation: Salary is up to $55,000 – $58,000 per year, commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package includes generous paid time off, health, dental, vision, and life insurance, as well as a 403(b) plan.
To Apply: Please email cover letter, resume, and writing sample with [Last Name] Bilingual SB TA Program Coordinator in the subject line to [email protected]. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the position will begin by no later than August 16, 2021. No phone calls, please.