Civic Engagement Coordinator
The Asian American Federation (AAF), founded in 1989, is New York City’s most powerful leadership voice for better policies, services, and funding that lead to more justice and opportunity for Asian New Yorkers. Our mission is to raise the influence and well-being of the pan-Asian American community through research, policy advocacy, public awareness, and nonprofit support.
In collaboration with 70 member and partner community-based organizations, we serve the interests of 1.7 million New Yorkers from 20 ethnic groups—diverse in language, culture, and religion—that make up New York’s Asian community, by providing expert research and unrelenting advocacy; working with lawmakers to change policies; and training Asian nonprofits to better serve their communities.
We fight to keep the pan-Asian American community visible and to ensure our needs are met, our contributions are valued, and our stories are told.
AAF seeks a full-time Civic Engagement Coordinator to help implement our non-partisan civic engagement program, working closely with the Research & Policy Director and Executive Director. Reporting to the Research & Policy Director, Civic Engagement Coordinator will be responsible for conducting outreach to the Asian community regarding voting rights and processes.
This position will be based out of our Manhattan office.
- Working as part of a team to coordinate a civic engagement program for Asian communities in New York State;
- Oversee our AAPI Power Coalition of Asian-serving nonprofits conducting voter registration, education and Get out the Vote (GOTV) work. This includes providing training, developing educational resources and supporting capacity-building efforts for coalition members.
- Mobilizing communities around non-partisan civic engagement, voter registration, voter education, voter protection, and Get Out the Vote work, including by supporting efforts made by our coalition members. This may include field campaign operations and events, such as social media messaging; phone and text banking; community festivals; volunteer organizing; etc;
- Using available data on voter registration, voter turnout, and Asian demographics to identify community needs and advocate for pro-democracy policies benefiting Asian New Yorkers
- Liaising with elected officials and government agencies on Asian American civic engagement alongside the Associate Director of Advocacy and Policy
- Completing timely program reports;
- Evaluating, updating, and creating program materials;
- Coordinating meetings and convenings, maintaining relationships with key stakeholders, and managing a Civic Engagement Intern ;
- Participating in organization-wide work efforts and events; and
- Completing other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 1-3 years of relevant experience in mobilizing communities, voter engagement, or related field
- Fluency in an Asian language is a plus
- Experience leading collaboratives
- Proficiency in VAN and voter file analysis is a plus
- Experience leading trainings is a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional organizational skills, with demonstrated ability to manage concurrent multiple assignments, meet tight deadlines, and prioritize accordingly
- Superior relationship management skills, with ability to work both independently and collaboratively
Compensation: Salary range is from $48,000 to $52,000 per year, commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package includes generous paid time off, health, dental, vision, and life insurance, as well as a 403(b) plan.
To Apply: Please email cover letter, resume, and writing sample with [Last Name] Civic Engagement Coordinator in the subject line to [email protected]. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the position will begin by no later than October 1, 2020. No phone calls, please.