Part-time Administrative Assistant
The Asian American Federation (AAF), founded in 1989, is New York City’s most powerful leadership voice for better policies, services, and funding that lead to more justice and opportunity for Asian New Yorkers. Our mission is to raise the influence and well-being of the pan-Asian American community through research, policy advocacy, public awareness, and nonprofit support.
In collaboration with 70 member and partner community-based organizations, we serve the interests of 1.7 million New Yorkers from 20 ethnic groups—diverse in language, culture, and religion—that make up New York’s Asian community, by providing expert research and unrelenting advocacy; working with lawmakers to change policies; and training Asian nonprofits to better serve their communities.
We fight to keep the pan-Asian American community visible and to ensure our needs are met, our contributions are valued, and our stories are told.
Reporting to the Director of Economic Empowerment, the Administrative Assistant will serve as the front-facing point of contact for AAF’s Queens office, located in Murray Hill. The Administrative Assistant will be responsible for greeting clients and other guests; handling all administrative tasks to ensure the office operates smoothly; and providing administrative support to the Small Business team.
This fully onsite position is part-time and requires a commitment of 21 hours per week (including Mondays and Wednesdays), with some evening/weekend hours on occasion. This position has the potential to grow into a full-time position, contingent on funding.
AAF seeks a part-time Administrative Assistant to be the point of contact for the Queens office. You will welcome guests and greet people who visit the office as well as assist staff with clerical and administrative duties. You will also coordinate with the Operations Manager on operations related tasks.
- Greet guests promptly and in a professional manner, directing them to the appropriate staff person or providing them with other general support as needed
- Answer, screen, and forward incoming phone calls
- Organize and maintain common areas in office
- Provide basic and accurate information about AAF’s services to in-person and phone/email inquiries as needed
- Receive, sort, and distribute mail and deliveries
Office Operations (25%)
- Maintain office security by following safety procedures and COVID policies
- Order office supplies and keep inventory of stock
- Prepare and send outgoing mail and packages
- Serve as main point of contact for onsite vendor visits and other vendor management duties
- Liaise with IT consultant and assist staff with basic IT issues
Administrative Support (65%)
- Schedule small business technical assistance sessions for inbound inquiries
- Draft emails, memos, letters, and forms as requested by the Small Business team
- Assist with event preparation and logistics as needed
- Assist in the preparation of funder reports
- Perform other clerical duties such as notetaking, photocopying, and filing
- Assist in preparation and logistics for events
- Provide project support as needed for onsite teams
- Handle sensitive information in a confidential manner
- Bachelor’s degree required
- A minimum of 6-12 months of relevant experience in one or more of the following areas: office administration, operations support, and/or program administration
- Exceptional organizational skills, with demonstrated ability to manage concurrent multiple assignments, meet tight deadlines, and prioritize accordingly
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to be proactive and resourceful when issues arise
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Tech savvy, with proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, Google Workspace, and Zoom required
- Hands-on experience with office equipment (e.g., copiers, printers)
- Fluency in an Asian language is a plus
- Demonstrated commitment to Asian American communities and AAF’s mission
All new hires must be vaccinated and must stay up to date with vaccines against the COVID-19 virus unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered a position with AAF, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by AAF.
Compensation: Salary range is from $24 to $26 per hour, commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package includes generous paid time off, health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance, as well as a 403(b) plan.
To Apply: Please email cover letter and resume with [Last Name] PT Administrative Assistant in the subject line to [email protected]. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the position will begin by no later than January 1, 2023. No phone calls, please.
The Asian American Federation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.