The Asian American Federation (AAF), founded in 1989, is New York City’s most powerful leadership voice for better policies, services, and funding that lead to more justice and opportunity for Asian New Yorkers. Our mission is to raise the influence and well-being of the pan-Asian American community through research, policy advocacy, public awareness, and nonprofit support.
In collaboration with 70 member and partner community-based organizations, we serve the interests of 1.7 million New Yorkers from 20 ethnic groups—diverse in language, culture, and religion—that make up New York’s Asian community, by providing expert research and unrelenting advocacy; working with lawmakers to change policies; and training Asian nonprofits to better serve their communities.
We fight to keep the pan-Asian American community visible and to ensure our needs are met, our contributions are valued, and our stories are told.
AAF is seeking a highly-motivated Research Associate to work on a number of AAF’s research projects focused on the Asian American community. The Research Associate will report to the Associate Director of Research & Policy to help support a variety of research projects that utilizes Census Bureau data in order to inform policy makers, community organizations, and other stakeholders on the state of the Asian American community. The Research Associate will also help to develop and market AAF’s research products and operate AAF’s Census Information Center (CIC).
Potential reports include the demographics of Asian American groups in the New York metropolitan area, the need and challenges facing Asian-owned businesses, and identifying the social service needs of existing and emerging Asian communities.
- Analyze and manage government and other secondary source data on Asian Americans
- Create content for demographic profiles and reports, including compiling data; creating graphs, tables, and maps; writing reports; and designing report layouts
- Respond to requests for data on Asian Americans, especially covering the New York metropolitan area
- Review relevant research literature for reports and proposals
- Assist in the creation of research instruments and methods as needed
- Coordinate meetings related to community data issues or CIC product releases
- Support AAF’s advocacy efforts on behalf of our member agencies
- Perform administrative duties as needed
- Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree preferred
- Experience working with statistical analysis software, such as STATA or SAS, or ability to use statistical features of Excel
- Experience with qualitative research, such as survey and focus group design and analysis
- Experience with Census data products, such as American Community Survey or Current Population Survey
- Experience with GIS software, such as ArcGIS or QGIS
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to demonstrate critical thinking/analysis, initiative, creativity, and flexibility
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Experience and interest in working with the Asian American community
- Asian language abilities preferred, but not required
Compensation: Salary range is from $55,000 to $57,000 per year, commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package includes generous paid time off, health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance, as well as a 403(b) plan.
To Apply: Please email cover letter, resume, and writing sample with [Last Name] Research Associate in the subject line to [email protected]. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the position will begin immediately. No phone calls, please.