Senior Civic Engagement Coordinator
The Asian American Federation (AAF), founded in 1989, is New York City’s most powerful leadership voice for better policies, services, and funding that lead to more justice and opportunity for Asian New Yorkers. Our mission is to raise the influence and well-being of the pan-Asian American community through research, policy advocacy, public awareness, and nonprofit support.
In collaboration with 70 member and partner community-based organizations, we serve the interests of 1.7 million New Yorkers from 20 ethnic groups—diverse in language, culture, and religion—that make up New York’s Asian community, by providing expert research and unrelenting advocacy; working with lawmakers to change policies; and training Asian nonprofits to better serve their communities.
We fight to keep the pan-Asian American community visible and to ensure our needs are met, our contributions are valued, and our stories are told.
AAF seeks a full-time Senior Civic Engagement Coordinator to lead our non-partisan Civic Engagement Program. Working independently and reporting to the Executive Director, the Senior Civic Engagement Coordinator will be responsible for conducting outreach to the Asian community regarding voting rights and processes in partnership with AAF’s AAPI Power Coalition. This position is hybrid.
- Working independently to lead AAF’s Civic Engagement Program for Asian communities in New York State;
- Serving as a thought partner to develop a civic engagement strategy for the Civic Engagement Program, with guidance and input from the Executive Director
- Developing a campaign to mobilize communities around non-partisan civic engagement, voter registration, voter education, voter protection, and Get Out the Vote work
- Serving as the point person to convene AAF’s AAPI Power Coalition, made up of 10 Asian-serving nonprofits, on a regular basis and administer micro-grants to support the Coalition’s work
- Providing training, resources, and support capacity-building efforts for the Coalition
- Creating and managing budgets to utilize secured public and private funding to achieve annual deliverables for the Civic Engagement Program
- Using available Census and VAN data to evaluate program success, identify community needs, and advocate for pro-democracy policies benefiting Asian New Yorkers;
- Working alongside the Advocacy & Policy team to liaise with elected officials and government agencies and provide testimony on Asian American civic engagement
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 3-4 years of relevant experience in mobilizing communities, voter engagement, or related field
- Proficiency in VAN and voter file analysis a plus
- Fluency in an Asian language a plus (e.g., Hindi, Urdu, Bengali, Tagalog, Arabic, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Superior relationship management skills
All new hires must be vaccinated and must stay up-to-date with COVID-19 vaccines unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered a position with AAF, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by AAF.
Compensation: Salary range is from $58,000 to $62,000 per year, commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package, includes generous paid time off, health, dental, vision, and life insurance, as well as a 403(b) plan.
To Apply: Please email cover letter, resume, and writing sample with [Last Name] Senior Civic Engagement Coordinator in the subject line to [email protected]. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the right candidate is found, and the position will begin by no later than April 3, 2023. No phone calls, please.
The Asian American Federation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.