Asian American Federation
Careers and Internships
The Asian American Federation’s mission is to raise the influence and well-being of the pan-Asian American community through research, policy advocacy, public awareness and organizational development.
Census Complete Count Coordinator
The Census Complete Count Coordinator position is a once-in-a-decade opportunity to connect with Asian community leaders across New York State and New Jersey to ensure that Asian Americans are counted in the Census. AAF is a national and local partner with the Census Bureau for the 2020 Census and seeks to reach hard-to-count members of the Asian community.
Why this role matters: The results of the Census directly impact congressional re-apportionment and redistricting, as well as state and local redistricting. In addition, the Census helps to determine the distribution of $880 billion of federal funds annually to communities for schools, transportation, public health, and other vital social programs, such as senior services, health care, K-12 education, ESL classes, and job training.
The Complete Count Coordinator will:
• Liaise with AAF’s national partners on outreach strategy coordination,
information and resource sharing, progress monitoring, problem identification, and reporting coordination
• Manage AAF’s partner network to maximize the coordination of activities and minimize duplication of efforts
• Monitor and provide technical support to partners to ensure their outreach and community engagement efforts are in sync with overall project goals and milestones
• Facilitate meetings or conference calls with partners to track their progress
• Identify and engage leaders and trusted groups in emerging and/or hard-to-reach ethnic communities and work directly to promote responses to 2020 Census
• Participate as a member of AAF’s in-house Census team in strategizing, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating outreach and community engagement efforts
• Participate in project stewardship and reporting efforts to funders
• Liaise with Census Bureau representatives to ensure that AAF and its national and regional partners are working to complement to the Bureau’s own community outreach efforts
• Bachelor’s degree required, with at least 2-3 years of professional experience preferred
• Proven track record of strong organizing, coalition building, and project management skills
• Superior relationship management skills, with ability to work with groups of diverse cultural backgrounds
• Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
• Deep understanding of one or more Asian American communities
• Ability to speak, read, and write one or more Asian languages preferred
• Previous work or volunteer experience in the Census a plus
• Ability to work occasional weekends and evening hours as needed
• Ability to occasionally travel to upstate New York of New Jersey as needed
Compensation: Salary is up to $50,000 per year, commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package includes generous paid time off, health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance, as well as a 403(b) plan.
To Apply: Please email cover letter, resume, and writing sample with [Last Name] Census Coordinator in the subject line to [email protected] Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the position will begin in late September, 2019. No phone calls, please.
The Asian American Federation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Small Business Project Manager
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Project Manager will be responsible for overseeing and implementing the Union Street Small Business Assistance Program. S/he will manage the business outreach, technical assistance, and implementation of strategies to attract customers, market businesses, and improve wayfinding for businesses located along the Union Street corridor.
Major responsibilities will include:
• Managing the Community Outreach Associate to accomplish program deliverables
• Facilitating meetings and feedback sessions with small business stakeholders to ensure their participation in and cooperation with the program
• Coordinating with subcontractors on projects to accomplish program deliverables, including the Mural Art Project, Signage Replacement Program, program marketing, and the e-commerce site
• Coordinating program events to build relationships between small business owners and community stakeholders as well as increase businesses’ customer base
• Liaising between the small business owners and website developer to ensure that the e-commerce site is beneficial to participating businesses
• Coordinating periodic press conferences to ensure that Union Street small businesses receive exposure
• Connecting small businesses with programmatic and technical assistance tailored to their needs, including collaborating with local organizations to optimize small business owners’ access to available services
• Providing periodic reports on the program’s progress or on key issues and findings
• Attending periodic evening and weekend meetings as needed
• Assisting in the coordination of special events and other tasks that may be necessary to advance AAF’s organizational mission
• Bachelor’s degree required, with at least 3 years of relevant experience in entrepreneurship, business counseling, marketing field campaigns, or related field
• FLUENCY IN KOREAN REQUIRED (speaking, reading, and writing)
• Knowledge of business development, real estate, urban planning, or community organizing preferred
• 3-4 years’ experience managing complex programs with multiple components, with proven track record of meeting program goals
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong evaluation skills; previous experience in program reporting a plus
• Exceptional organizational skills, with demonstrated ability to manage concurrent multiple assignments, meet tight deadlines, and prioritize accordingly
• Superior relationship management skills, with ability to work both independently and collaboratively with a variety of personalities
Compensation: Salary is $21,667 for the contract period, contingent on start date. Comprehensive benefits package includes generous paid time off, health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance, as well as a 403(b) plan.
To Apply: Please email cover letter and resume with [Last Name] Project Manager in the subject line to [email protected] Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The position will begin immediately. No phone calls, please.
The Asian American Federation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to personalize my portfolio?
Donec quam felis, ultricies nec, pellentesque eu, pretium quis, sem. Nulla eget erosit consequat massa quis enim. Donec pede justo, fringilla vel, aliquet nec, vulputate eget, arcu. In enim justo, rhoncus ut, imperdiet a, venenatis vitae, just. Aenean massa. Cum sociis Theme natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Donec quam felis, ultricies nec, pellentesque eu, pretium quis, sem. Nulla consequat massa quis enim. Donec pede justo, fringilla vel, aliquet nec, vulputate eget.